Before we chat spinel, tell us a bit about you and your company GemGroup
GemGroup Sweden, or Ädelstensgruppen as we're called in Swedish (try to pronounce that!), is the only company in Sweden that specializes in wholesale trading and production of exclusively colored gemstones. Most other here companies focus mainly on diamonds.
I started the business when I was 15, and now 12 years later and with two wonderful partners, we’re the biggest company in Sweden doing only colored stones. We specialize in morganite and aquamarine for our larger clients and gems like spinel for our single-stone sourcing. We travel around the World and source most of our stones directly from local mines and lapidaries. Our focus is on excellent cut quality – we cut about 75% of all stones ourselves, and purchase the other 25% already cut. We run lapidary operations both in Central Stockholm and in Sri Lanka - right at one of the world's best sources of sapphire and spinel.
The three partners in the company – myself, our Cutting Manager (an excellent cutter in Sweden), and a Gemologist are all incredibly passionate about this business and love what we do.
What is Spinel?
A colored gemstone that was mistaken for rubies and sapphires for over 1000 years, spinel comes in countless colors, is stunningly brilliant and lustrous, and is one of the rarest colored gemstones around. Despite all this obvious appeal, spinel costs much less than its more well-known cousins, ruby and sapphire.
Why do you love Spinel?
So many colors to choose from
Spinels range from deeply saturated tones to very light pastels, and they come in countless different hues: red, lavender, blue, pink, purple, and black.
And the best part: spinels are one of the few stones that require no special treatment. Other colored gemstones are often treated to intensify the color and improve clarity, but spinel looks vivid and bright entirely au naturel.